Tuesday, April 07, 2009

An Open Letter to the Run

Dear Running,

I'd like to start by applogizing for taking you for granted. I know I've said this before only to be less than honest, but you're obviously very important to me and you know that. We've been together for almost 20 years and despite the fact I'll occasionally stray, or not give you the time you deserve, or fail to make the commitment that I recognize you want, you have to know how much you mean to me.

But that's not why I'm writing. Not completely. More-so I wanted to thank you.

Been out a thousand times, gone a million miles, been together in the rain, in the snow, in the heat, in the early morning and dead of night. We've gone through pain, through problems. Had times I couldn't wait to get out the door, times where I had no desire to be around you, and times that were all about the sheer joy of being together. No matter how many times I've strapped on my kicks, how many trips we've taken on familiar paths and new trails, every once in a while you still manage to surprise me. Still are able to give me an experience that's simply transcendent. Nearly unworldly. Life changing. The kind of experience that reminds me why I love you so much. Why we'll be together forever.

And I recognize that it's not the same kind of experience for everyone, but what you gave me tonight was intense. The weather was crisp but comfortable. It felt like I was going downhill the entire time. I was light and fast like a gazelle prancing through the savanna just laughing at the lions. Every single song on my iPod was perfect. I'm about to finish and you drop my fav running song - you know how much I love Ize of the World. So I put in that extra mile for you so we could listen. Together. It was just great. I really needed that, and it makes me so happy that after all this time we can still connect so deeply.

So thank you. And not just for tonight but for everything you do for me. Thanks for all of the amazing times we've had together and all the amazing times we have in front of us. Thanks for being you.

Yours Truly,
Paul

No comments: