Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nike+: Everything you've ever wanted to know but were too lazy to ask

Working for Nike, I've been running with Nike+ pretty much every time I've laced up since it launched two years ago. I'm seriously as addicted to plus as the bum outside my apartment right now is addicted to smelling bad and speaking in barely coherent sentence fragments while drooling. He might also be on crack but who am I to speculate? But while he could probably take a shower and stay off the rock I can't even run to catch a bus without being able to log those 40 feet. It just seems wasteful to not being able to log them.

But from being in the field and around the Blogosphere I constantly hear/read the same complaints about the device not being accurate. People are constantly remarking that logs in short, or long, or slow, or fast, or it's been stealing money off the counter and eyeing their girlfriend - it's always something. Occasionally these gripes have merit - there have been glitches in the matrix along the way, and through the years I've seen and heard them all. However, for every legit complaint, there's a hundred more that are the result of improper use, or a general misunderstanding of the technology. I blame the interweb.

With that in mind I'm going to do a service to the six of you (traffic is picking up), and do a multipart series on the ins and outs of the system to help educate people on how to use it properly for the best results - the way it works, why using a shoe pocket reduces the accuracy, some known quirks that are a result of how the technology works, how to calibrate and why calibration is important, and anything else I can think of. I'm a bekon of Nike+ knowledge and I want the masses to follow me on the road towards logged mile bliss. In that way I'm a holy man.

I'm going to put some thought into the best way to go about this, so in the meantime if Laura or Chia have questions this would be a good time to ask.

Will this be the single most informative plus asset across the information superweb? Probably - so bare with me because in the following week I'll be dropping knowledge like Ma Fratelli dropped Sloth.

1 comment:

chia said...

Ya, where's my transmitter??!?!? LOL, I so lost it.

You're right though, there are a lot of misconceptions on the device and people don't seem to realize they need to calibrate it for their own gait.

I'm thinking of getting the standalone wrist unit because of its compact size - have you used that model? Is there any difference in that one's tracking ability in comparison to the ipod one?